RED SWISS CHARD Stalks! (see above) Yes... that's right.. the stalks. I hate wasting stuff so I googled "can you eat the stems/what do do with them".. and I came across this recipe for normal chard stalks. So I figured... hey I can probably make it out of the red ones too!
I used the basis of that recipe and added red wine vinegar + 3 tbs diced red onion, and used my Trader Joe's minced garlic to be faster... (I'm all about making healthy stuff FAST that you can eat for the week ahead on Sunday afternoons/night- I like to knock out 3 or 4 recipes!) Also I think after making this... I'm pretty sure you could make hummus out of almost anything...
- 2 cups of cut-up swiss-chard stalks
- 1 large lemon, juiced
- 3 tbsp of tahini
- 1 tsp of minced garlic (or a little more if you love garlic!)
- salt, to taste
- a little olive oil if you need it to facilitate blending
- splash of red wine vinegar
- 3 tbsp diced red onion
- Cut the stalks of the swiss-chard into half-inch pieces; place in a saucepan with a little water and boil gently (or steam) till tender. Drain and transfer to the bowl of a food processor.
- Add the tahini, garlic, red wine vinegar, lemon juice and purée the mixture. Taste and adjust seasoning. Stores for a week! Or freeze (but put a little olive oil on top to preserve it)
Yum! I eat it on everything- bread, veggies, in wraps, but a blob of it on a salad etc! I'm so glad I found this recipe that inspired my own version so I didn't have to waste anything! Most of my cooking is all about not wasting food and being creative with what we have already! :-)