Now that all the holiday treats + goodies that seem to flow like a river through our house between Thanksgiving, Christmas + New Years have dried up I have been doing a paleo + Whole30 diet (read if you are like YES what the heck are those?). Before the holidays and during them I totally tried to stay on this course as much as possible but sometimes you just HAVE to HAVE your Mom's/Aunt's/Grandma's/neighbors/coworker's signiture holiday ______. < insert whatever that is for you. For me it was cookies + praline crunch mix + fudge etc!
Can I ask WHY do all the holidays have candies and treats that accompany them? Halloween, Christmas, Valentines day... bleh. The trouble was I got right back on sugar highs + slumps + cravings cycle which really effects my body and how I function overall. Now that I am trying to stay to this diet as much as possible and have done a solid Whole30 (back in Auguest) that helped me figure out my body's reactions to foods) I'm just trying to be consistent so I can develop healthy long term diet patterns (diet just means 'what you eat' not a fad!)
Here's my bottom line on healthy eating:
Find what works best for YOU & your body long-term & stick to it!
What I mean is- you have to find out what foods trigger weight-gain, inflammation, being uncomfortably bloated, gross etc. then avoid those to feel and look your best and reach your goals. Try eliminating foods for up to 10 days in your diet to find out which ones are the cause. (whole30 helps you do this!)
My ideal diet that has me feeling my best so far is:
-no processed food
-no fried food
-less sugar the better! (speaking of sugar I am super interested in I quit Sugar! )
I dont feel like I am depriving myself because I know how certain 'cheat food's make me feel and its always a decision... how mcuh do I want to eat that food based on knowing how it will make me feel? Here is a chart from Whole30 people that helps you re-think cheats.
I made paleo biscuits the other day that totally arent Whole30 but yes, I will want a gluten free, dairy free, version of a biscuit that I love at some point that doesnt make me feel gross. I made them to go with this amazing kale, sausage + tomato soup I made- I crumbled them in and they were delicious! I also have an 85% cocoa chocolate bar in my pantry right now you better believe it! I know that dark chocolate will always be a part of my life ;) Also I like to have wine + cider occasionally but it does is block your liver from metabolizing fat and getting rid of toxins from the foods your ingesting! You also should drink tons of water! Gallon challenge a day-That's 3785.41 ml of water a day (my camelback holds 750ml)
Reasons I love Paleo + Whole30:
- I feel AWESOME AND AMAZING AND LIKE SUPERWOMAN when I reach day 12 of eating clean and on! (before then you feel headaches, bloating, fatigue, mood swings from detoxing all the junk out of you)
- It helped me break my terrible habbit of eating cereal for breakfast every morning (although twas Kashi)
- Reduces overall inflamation, better sleep, more energy, balanced hormones, feel lighter and leaner
- My skin looks way clearer and fresher!
- Empowers you to realize you can so 'NO' to foods you would have eaten 'just because' they are there. (Ex. doughnuts at church, office party snacks, cookies, candies, mints etc. that 'just happen to be there')
- Helps you realize how you veiw food, as a reward, what your day revolves around, as feul for you body, as a stress reliever, emotional eating, stress eating or all of the above
- You can tap into your realtionship with God and realize he gave us these bodies & we should take care of them! My first time around God really showed me how I treat food/appetite/not getting what I want & how that flows over into other areas of life! Wasn't expecting that...! ex) I want chocolate & I want it NOW!
- You see and feel the results of not eating so much sugar, dairy, processed foods & chemicals
Here's a recent recipe I made:
I eat like this majority of the time... meat + stuff in the skillet and most experiments turn out great and happen because I have a bunch of random leftovers I need to use! Try it and let me know what you come up with!! I'm always looking for new random ideas! To see other paleo/whole30 recipes check out my pinterest!
Lastly, I think eating healthy is always about being prepared. If you are starving and have no healthy choices then you will most likely cave and eat whatever you can find!! I hope by sharing this it helps you understand the thinking behind paleo/whole30 and just trying to eat healthy... its all about figuring out long term solutions to feeling your best and I am always learning new things!